Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Different Drum

The above drums were played whenever we sang bajans at the ashram.  I have always loved drums.....always wanted one of my own as well.  Even though I have never taken any formal lessons, I have participated in some drumming circles, and a drum is one of those organic instruments that seems to just mould to the personality of the player.  No special training required!

Up in Dharamsala, I finally purchased one of my very own.  A double-sided drum that was hand made by the man who sold it to me on the street.  I love my drum!  And I am proud to say that after a long journey through 5 airports and one long & very cold ride in a u-haul van - my drum is now safely placed in my living room here in Nelson.  She made it here in one piece!!!  

Of course, I have already found out where the local drumming circle is here in Nelson.  Every Tuesday night at the North Shore Hall: that's where you'll find me & my drum :)

No comments: