The above pic is Gandhar Mandlik, Guruji's son. There was one evening where several teachers demonstrated some advanced asana.
However, the yoga that is taught here is based on the Bihar school. Very traditional Hatha.......and very slow compared to what a lot of us would be used to in the west. I was aware of this prior to coming to the ashram, and to be honest, I was looking forward to it. I learnt this past summer after subbing so many ashtanga/ vinyasa flow classes - that it is just more natural for me to teach slower.......more "hatha" - like.
And these slower asanas are very complimentary in regards to the therapy programs that we are learning to develop for patients.
.......and don't get me wrong. We are still getting a workout! Longer holds with more relaxation are the key to improving concentration, flexibility, and overall healing for the body.
No comments:
Post a Comment