Tuesday, October 7, 2008

One! International

Today, we took a very long taxi ride to the northern part of Mumbai to visit the kids at One International School. We arrived in this little pocket of Khar Danda........almost a world in of itself. It was like it was completely separated from the rest of the big city: little winding brick-paved streets...and you could just tell that everyone in the community knew one another. Like one big family.

We were eagerly greeted by three smiling male students, who took our suitcases of school supplies & then took us on about a 10 minute walk through "town" before arriving at the school. We were greeted with more smiles from kids ranging in age from 2 to about mid teen's.

Normally, the tiny school houses over 90 students, but many were not there this week due to a 9 day Hindu festival.

I wish I could post some of the pics that I took with the kids......they were fascinated by the camera - but the teachers made sure they didn't get too distracted from their lessons. Carrie & I sat in on the little ones while they were practicing their Hindi script....I even got to help out the older kids upstairs in "step 6" with their art class :)

No comments: