Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Trains....Finger Food.....& Funny Horns

Well, I finally made it to this little internet enclave in Nashik city after what has been a pretty exausting day! This will be my last post for a while, as we are heading out to Trimbak in about an hour. I am really craving the peace & solitude that awaits us at the ashram.

CST train station in Mumbai is incredible: a huge gothic structure with literally all walks of life. I'm glad we didn't know about the ladies only waiting room tucked around the corner. Being in the thick of it all was much more interesting.

The train ride was only a three hour one....but a very good primer for me. I experienced a few scammers today in regards to my lunch that I supposedly ordered with my ticket..........in any case: now I have a better understanding of how the Indian train system works - so I won't make the same mistakes again next time!!!!!! (I'll have to give you a more detailed account later :)

I have to admit, though: the toilet on the train was suprisingly efficient & WAY better than those cramped airplane toilets. Give me an Indian rail squat toilet any day.

So, now we are in Nashik city. We head out to Yoga Vidya Gurukul in about an hour. Until then, I continue to be bombarded with the high-paced energy that seems to engulf this city. Horns, exhaust fumes (we became well-acquainted with these on our ride into town on a three wheeled auto rickshaw), are the norm here.....even more so than in Mumbai. Maybe it just appears that way because it's more condensed here...smaller streets......

We ate an Indian fast food meal at cafe Bollywood. I had a coconut pancake thing & the best fesh squeezed grape juice ever.

Next stop: peace & quiet (?!)

2 comments:

Vik said...

Sounds like you are adjusting well to India. Enjoy the ashram.

Monica said...

thanks for keeping us posted on your journey. best wishes at the ashram!