Saturday, December 20, 2008

Mushroom or Boy?

No, I didn't arrive home from India with a shaved head & a saffron robe!  But for those of you who I haven't seen yet - yes - I DID get my hair cut- again!  It was ideal for India travel.  I chopped it the day after arriving at the ashram.

It's funny, though because the majority of women in India wear their hair long.  They are the epitome of femininity.  So, the owner of the salon just couldn't understand WHY I wanted to cut my hair shorter......

......after much convincing from me, she replied enthusiastically with wide eyes that she would give me a really "nice mushroom cut".   Mushroom cut?   I'm not sure what that means but I immediately think back to my pre-adolescent hairdo's & that is just SCARY.  So, I told her "no mushroom cut.  Shorter all over, please!

Angel agreed, and called in the hairdresser, a young Marathi girl who spoke no english.  I just closed my eyes & let her do her work.  I didn't really care as long as I didn't get a mushroom cut.  My hair grows so quickly & really, it's just hair anyways.

Every once & a while you'd hear Angel instructing the girl in Marathi......then you'd hear "boy cut" in English.  Then back to the local language.   I let it slide.  I figured boy cut was better than mushroom.   And when I opened my eyes, there it was:  a nice short 'do that proved to be hassle free for the rest of my trip.   And it only cost me 5 dollars!

2 comments:

Trisha said...

I love it!!! I think it's really cute! You look like Mia Farrow or Pixie!

Sarah said...

wow, thanks! :)